Monday, January 10, 2005

the upcoming topics

I will start a class tomorrow on the history of religion in America. This class combined with some recent reading from Brian McLaren's book A Generous Orthodoxy has inspired me to do a bible study at the college. I will be covering a different denomination each week and presenting what I see as the most important contribution that they have made to Christianity. One of the most important aspects of Emergent theology is that we recognize that none of us have the last word on what is being said. Since the Reformation much of denominationalizing has been a process of finding out where you disagree with the other guy and then founding a new sect based on your differences. We will intend to find out what we agree on. We will also try to find out what the others have emphasized that we missed the boat on. I hope that we can all come up with a bigger view of God in the process.

No comments: